Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for Depression and Anxiety
MBCT was originally developed as a depression relapse prevention course, shown to be particularly effective for those who have experienced 3 or more episodes of depression. It has since been adapted for managing anxiety and other mental health conditions. MBCT has strong clinical evidence supporting its efficacy (e.g., see Mental Health Foundation of UK:https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/m/mindfulness-based-cognitive-therapy-mbct). Kuyken et al., (Journal of American Medical Association, 2016) showed that MBCT is as effective as antidepressants, the currently accepted treatment to prevent relapse due to depression. The evidence in support of MBCT is strong enough for the British National Health Service to offer MBCT as an effective option for the prevention of relapse due to depression. Recent studies have also shown that MBCT can reduce the severity of depressive symptoms for those who currently have depression.
In this highly experiential course students will learn:
- Various mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful movement
- How conditioned patterns of mind, including thoughts, can trigger depressive relapse and sustain depressive symptoms
- How to enhance non-judgmental awareness in practice and daily life through group dialogue
- Daily home practice assignments
- To develop an early warning signal for relapse in order to act more skillfully before relapse due to depression and anxiety occur
- How to build and maintain a regular meditation practice
Daily home practices are assigned at the end of every class for students to consolidate their learning, and to bring mindful awareness into their lives.
Who Should Attend:
Individuals wishing to prevent relapse due to depression, school and work burnout, and those who would like to manage the symptoms of anxiety. Individuals who have bipolar disorder may also benefit from the skills learned in this course.
Upcoming MBCT Course:
Dates: Mondays, March 25 to May 13, 2019 (8 classes plus daylong retreat May 5)
Time: 6:45 to 8:45pm
Where: Integrative Naturopathic Medical Clinic, 730-1285 West Broadway, Vancouver
Please note that there is a 24-hour cancellation policy for assessments.
Facilitators: Tom Heah, OT & Rebecca Rauscher, RCC (www.rebeccarauscher.ca)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in attending this course.